- Completely out of options:
- Make sure you apply for UIF.
- Look into welfare programmes
- Ask for food parcels at the church or NGO’s
- If you 60 or older, apply for SASSA, state pension.
- If you were in the Defence Force, uMkhonto we Sizwe, Police, Prison Services at any time, look into the SA Veterans Association offerings. Remember to use your force number.
- Go for debt consolidation. Just be aware that there are many untrustworthy debt counsellors. Ensure that they are legally registered with the National Credit Regulator. Speak to your bank.
- Apply for bankruptcy. This is not first choice but absolutely last resort.
- Reduce or cancel your medical scheme and make use of the Government Clinics and hospitals, unless you have applied for the Veterans Association, then you can use the Military hospitals.
Times are tough, but do not be paralysed by fear. Use it to motivate you.
Subscribe to our newsletter AFS Informer.